Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thankful Thursday

So here is a spin on my Thankful Thursday. A couple weeks ago on Sunday in Sacrament our Bishop took the opportunity to give us a few words of guidance. We have always been taught to keep journals. Well on Sunday Bishop asked us to keep Blessing Journals. Basically, instead of writing down everything that happens during your day, the good the bad and the ugly, why not write down at the end of the day at least one thing you are thankful for?


Think about it. When your great-great-grandchildren stumble across your journal tucked away in the attic and start reading. Do you really want the impression you leave to be along the lines of: "I'm so annoyed with Shelly, she took all my paper clips and never brought them back." or how about, "That stupid dog kept barking all night and as much as I yelled he just wouldn't shut-up!" or maybe even, "Our neighbors have got to be the most stubborn, annoying, picky people, who find the littlest things to complain about!" (none of these are complaints of mine)


Maybe the legacy you would rather leave might sound like this instead: "I'm so grateful that I have so many family members that live near us so that my children can be surrounded by love and support." or possibly, "My husband is a man of great courage, he is strong and willing to help, he loves his family and the church." oh, and how about, "I love the country that we live in, even though all of us may not agree with the leaders and their policies, we still have the opportunity to have freedom in all of our daily choices, from who to talk to, where to pick up groceries, sending our daughters to school, and what religion we choose to practice. We truly live in a blessed nation." I really love the thought of someone remembering me that way. That those words of mine live on forever to inspire others and hopefully remind others of the good in their lives.


Today I am thankful that I followed the council I received a few weeks ago. I look forward to that time every night that I have the opportunity to write something down that I am grateful to be blessed by. I haven't had the same entry twice. It really helps you notice all the good things surrounding you!


Oh yeah, I'm SO Thankful for Double Stuff Oreos, Nutter Butters, and a huge tanker of COLD milk!

3 comments:

Parri said...

That is soooo true! I can speak from personal experience. I know a certain someone who recently passed away and the majority of that person's journal entries were negative, and very hurtful to their loved ones. I am glad bishop extended some advice on the matter. After hearing that story I am only going to right about the good things in life and maybe some trials here and there.

Parri said...

oops excuse my grammar error.... It is 11:30 at night though! I meant to say, "I am only going to write...

Mia said...

What a wonderful post! I hope that my kids will always know I have a grateful heart.